Thursday, September 3, 2015

Classroom Reveal 2015-2016

This year I am starting a new adventure!  I'm teaching in a different district and obviously a new school.  The school is an International Baccalaureate and I'm teaching the gifted/advanced first grade (both firsts for me).  
 How to find what you're looking for, if you don't know what you're looking for. Just journey onwards, you'll find something eventually.: How to find what you're looking for, if you don't know what you're looking for. Just journey onwards, you'll find something eventually.
I love a good challenge and I feel like I'm using a lot of brain power to learn many, many new things.  Guess what?  I'm loving it.  My class and families are the perfect fit for me.  Well and the fact that I am back in the grade I was made for.  

So when I set up my room I thought it was PERFECT but then the kids came and I had to make adjustments.  The kids kept bumping their chairs into each other and it was a tight squeeze.  Visually it was my perfect but the best laid plans of mice and men go awry.

So tonight I will show you the before (my pictures won't upload to the cloud so I'll have to wait on the after).  C'est la vie! 

BEFORE:

Here is my small group/teacher work area.  I have put my desk in my very large closet, which is the first closet I've ever had.

I used Cara Carroll's back to school ideas and had parents fill out an envelope so I could send a sweet note about their child.

Birthdays and our family wall
I love the family wall so much!  The students and I use it all the time.

This is the back wall and I decided I needed to use it for subject areas.  Anchor charts are displayed on reading and writing.  While math has strategies and our rotations.


Our book bins are held by this double sided shelf.  We went book shopping on day 2!

I saw this idea on pinterest but I'm not sure where.  I put our wishes on cupcakes and the parents grabbed almost all of them!

Here is a close-up of our math rotations.  

I had a table set up for meet the teacher that now holds the mailboxes.

Frame Worthy Work will always have a place in my classroom.  The frames are from Lakeshore Learning and I love them SO much...you just slip work inside.  This is also our supply area, hermit crab tank and math supplies.

The desk were already with Learning In Wonderland's flip book, bubbles, and login cards.

As I mentioned before, we are an IB school.  We display and teach the learner profiles (open-minded, reflective, caring, courageous, thinker, knowledgeable, inquirer, communicator, balanced. and principled).  They are displayed to the sides of the board and below are name tag holders with the traits that students wear for the day when we note them using one of the LPs.


These are the Learner Profile student recognition in name tag holders.  When I notice a student exhibiting one, we all stop and acknowledge and then the child wears one for the rest of the day.

Here is a close up of one of the profiles.

This is the front of my room with my new ActivPanel.  Two weeks in and I don't know how I taught without it.

Most of these read alouds are tied to the profiles.  We use books to introduce them each day. (i.e. Oliver Button is a Sissy helped us learn open-minded),

Word Wall...it was going to be used for HFW but instead I'm going to use it for our vocabulary.

Bucket Fillers Chart 

Close-up of the board


IKEA picture frames for my unit essential questions

Hand signals

ActivPanel with Pink Cat Studios Owl Attendance

Left side of room

Right side of room

The bags are to schedule students for book shopping each day of the week so the classroom library doesn't get jammed.

Book display and Growth Mindset Posters



I put baskets with labels out for parents/students to sort supplies.



Door essentials

Jobs

The IB materials and colorful classroom decor can be found in my TPT shop: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/The-Go-To-Teacher 

Tomorrow I will share my 2 weeks later pictures with all the changes.  Have a great night!



No comments:

Post a Comment

***